Saturday, October 18, 2008

National Novel Writing Month


Well, I have gone and done it this time. I have put my writing where my mouth is. Some of you may know about NANOWRIMO, aka, National Novel Writing Month. For those who don’t NANOWRIMO is an annual “friendly” writing competition. To win, simply sign up on their website and commit to writing a 50,000 word novel within the 30 days of November. The prize is to get an official acknowledgment as an author of a novel, that’s it. What, no $100,000, no publishing contract or trip to exotic Paraguay? Nope, the actual prize is the satisfaction of starting and finishing a challenging project and the public validation of successfully meeting the goal. Oh, and let’s not forget having a novel at the end of November to edit and submit for publishing or self publish. How freaking cool is that!!!
I signed up for this year’s competition. Yes I did! I am trembling with excitement and trepidation. There are no rules about topic or format. This is about unbridled creativity and word count. There is no time to go back and obsess over getting anything perfect. For 30 days my inner critic has to shut up while I put up my very first novel. Woo hoo!
With the craziness going on recently in the world I have obsessed over every little thing from what to wear to work to who I am going to pick on “Dancing With the Stars.” I figure next month the only thing I will have time to obsess over is the 2500 word per day commitment to get to 50,000. I won’t have time to be sad over my youngest going into the Marines or my oldest going to Germany with the Army. I won’t have the energy to think about the mortgage still 15 days late or what I am not going to purchase this year for Christmas. I am going to write. I am going to put all of the crap in my head on the page and I am going to win!
Starting November 1st, you will notice on the side bar a word count widget to keep anyone interested up to date on my progress. I think this will also keep me going since I would hate for anyone see me give up. I am also including this link to NANOWRIMO for anyone interested in signing themselves up. My username is mamejane so feel free to add me as a buddy and we will cheer each other on.
Wish me luck!
J
Mame

No comments: