Friday, December 26, 2008

Lisa Unger- Beautiful Lies and Sliver of Truth



Oh how clever art thou Ms. Unger. You wrote a book that sucked me in and left me hanging so bad I had to go out and get the 2nd installment immediately. (thank God for the Library!) She started off with a great mystery in “Beautiful Lies” and concludes with “Sliver of Truth.”
A young freelance writer by the name of Ridley Jones who lives a fast paced, exciting and fun life would have never pushed that little boy out of the way of the bus if she knew what would happen afterward. What is that old saying? “No good deed goes unpunished.” She is seen on TV news by thousands of people in the New York area and one in particular throws her very existence into question and chaos. She finds an old photograph and an unsigned note on her doorstep, “Could you be my daughter?” This anonymous note sets off a chain reaction of events that twists every memory Ridley ever had. Murder stalks her, from the violent end of a young single mother to the death of a creepy man claiming to be her father. Ridley spends the majority of the story running into one trauma or surprise after another and “Beautiful Lies” left me with as many questions unanswered as those that were. Oh, wait! That’s right that tricky Lisa Unger has another book that will answer the rest, right? I myself have a few more questions and would like a third installment.
Ridley’s life has been filled with loving parents, doting family friend she thinks of as an Uncle, a typical obnoxious brother but as she will find out none of her life was as it seemed down to her own name. She is helped by her new and very attractive and very mysterious neighbor. As I said before no one is as they seem. Who can she trust? Who knows the truth? Is her Uncle Max really dead? If Jake is not who he is then who the heck is Dylan Grace? Who works for the FBI and who doesn’t? The questions still run around in my head and it has been a month since I read the books.
This is my 3rd Lisa Unger novel and it definitely won’t be my last.

No comments: