Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Mercedes Lackey is Full of Fantasy and Fairytales!


How is it that a book I enjoyed so much is so hard to describe?!
I just finished Mercedes Lackey’s newest Elemental Masters novel called “Unnatural Issue.”  Just as in her 500 Kingdoms Series she has twisted an old fairytale or folk story with her own signature twists. “Unnatural Issue” is a take on the “DonkeySkin” tale. It is filled with magic, intrigue, drama, love, suspense and creepiness.  I really enjoyed it but every time I try to describe it I feel like there is too much to explain and I want to say to you, my friendly reader, just go out and get it!  If you like magic and intrigue you will like this whole series. 
So here’s what I have decided to do.  I am going to give you a word list that describes “Unnatural Issue” and leave it up to you to decide if this is enough to want to read the rest….here goes:
Magic
Puck
Necromancy
WWI
Unrequited Love
Death
Villain
Zombies
Hero
Ingénue
Trenches

Loss
Undine
Fauns
Bogarts
Cheese
Seen enough?  Each of the novels in the Elemental Masters series stands on its own but I think you will get more out of them if you read them in order so here they are:
The Fire Rose
The Serpent's Shadow
The Gates of Sleep
Phoenix and Ashes
Reserved for the Cat
The Wizard of London
Unnatural Issue
P.S. isn’t the cover art for these books awesome!?



No comments: